Web push notifications are the hottest marketing channel and a must-have Internet marketing tool. In today’s marketplace, web push notifications are an important component in a well-rounded digital marketing strategy.
Web push notifications aren’t a substitute for email marketing. They have their own unique abilities that define them as an independent marketing channel. In fact, web push notifications can be used in conjunction with email for a stronger overall marketing approach.
What Are Web Push Notifications?
Web push notifications are clickable messages sent through a web browser in real time. They are subscription-based, and users opt-in via a prompt screen when visiting your website. Web push notifications are also referred to as: “browser notifications, browser push notifications, web push or web push notifications.” All these terms are synonymous.
Web push notification messages include a headline, a description, and a clickable URL. Some providers also include the company’s logo, icon or thumbnail image on the message screen. These messages are brief, slightly shorter than “Twitter” messages. Their brevity allows them to be read at a glance and the inclusive link allows viewers to take immediate action.
How Are They Sent?
Typically, messages are sent through a web push notification service provider. Most marketers use a service provider, although a few companies choose to set up their own web push notification servers.
Why Do I Need Them?
Web push notifications give online marketers a new channel to reach consumers.
Web push notifications provide digital marketers and web publishers with a method for communicating with subscribers. You now have the ability to provide helpful and relevant information to subscribers in real-time. The best part, the subscribers opt-in so you know they are looking for this content.
How Does It Work?
When a user visits a website that features web push notifications, an opt-in screen will appear prompting the user to subscribe. Opt-in requires one click to subscribe. The visitor does not have to input any personal information at all. The visitor can choose to opt-in and receive messages, or block messages and will not be prompted or shown messages again.
Once a user chooses to opt-in, they will receive messages whenever they are sent. Subscribers can opt-out at any time with one click and messages will cease immediately. The publisher has no further way to prompt the user via push notifications once they choose to block messages.
Bonus: Top 10 List of Why Every Marketer Should Use Push Notifications
10. Monetization. Web push notifications can be used to develop another avenue of monetization.
9. Subscriber Retention. The brevity of messages reduces subscriber time and effort for reading, as well as, the annoyance factor. User personalization is another important element. Together, these factors help decrease opt-out rates.
8. Re-engagement. Since web push notifications have nearly a 100% visibility rate, your messages will not be missed. You can use personalized messages to more effectively entice your subscriber to re-engage.
7. Personalization. The ability to provide message personalization can be used to achieve a variety of goals.
6. Remarketing. The ability of web push notifications to be received whenever and wherever your subscribers are visiting is particularly advantageous for remarketing purposes.
5. Omnipresent Messaging. Web push notifications are received and displayed no matter what website your subscribers are viewing through their browser. This allows your marketing messages to be “everywhere.”
4. 99.99% Delivery. Subscribers receive messages through their web browser. If your subscriber is not using their web browser when your message is sent, they will receive the message the next time they use their web browser.
3. Timeliness. Messages are delivered in real-time, delivered immediately once sent.
2. No Gatekeeper. Unlike email, messages are not filtered through a third-party. Delivery is assured, with no middleman blocking, flagging and/or routing messages to junk or spam.
1. High Visibility. Web push notifications have a nearly 100% delivery and viewable rate. It requires no action on the subscriber’s part to view a message. A message screen appears while the subscriber is using their web browser. Therefore, messages are rarely missed!